Knitting Paragon

KNITTING: to make a fabric by looping yarn together with special needles. PARAGON: a model of perfection or excellence.

Friday, September 15, 2006

Mom knits too!

My mom came over last night to take her youngest child and her two grandsons out to dinner and shopping (DH has class). The boys chose Target and some glow-in-the-dark Spidey t-shirts were had! Mom brought me a dish cloth she knitted for our new kitchen. And it matches these perfectly.



Mom taught me to knit when I was about 10 or 12 and watched me flirt with it on and off for years. Always teaching having to remind me how to purl and bind off. She encouraged me to use her extra yarns (acrylic wonders!) to make squares for an afghan. I have a basket full of squares all knitted in garter stitch in an array of scary colors. It would be a bit more encouraging if the squares were nice, large squares, but they are small less than 4" square! Then, an idea came to me to knit double the size of the original and long scarf-like strips to connect and edge with. However, still those squares and strips are in the basket all unattached. But hey, I used up some of her acrylic stash! Here's da'lovely dish cloth.



These days mom says I knit way past her. That's the best compliment for a teacher. For the student to go beyond the teacher. I hope she thinks so too. I really don't knit any better than her. I think I'm just into it more.

Now for the boys. Here are their new Spidey t-shirts. We made it through the first week of school. They are off today and Monday. Back to the grind Tuesday and probably with these tees. (Mom will have to get them washed and ready!)


Boy A loves red. Boy B loves blue. Yin and Yang in the flesh.

1 Comments:

At 5:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, your Mom does think that's great that you've gone beyond her abilities with your knitting. It amazes her so much since she remembers when you were 12 and saying "I'll never get this, never, never, never!"

 

Post a Comment

<< Home